If your child received a seat offer to PS 58
If your child received a seat offer to a Kindergarten program at PS 58, here are your next steps:
- Go to MySchools and indicate if you are accepting or declining your child’s seat offer as soon as possible.
- Once you accept your seat offer in MySchools, look for an email from the Operoo Administrator. This will include instructions to activaye an Operoo account. You will use Operoo to submit your required documents and complete our registration forms online. Have a seat offer but didn’t get the email? Please check your spam or junk inbox before contacting us. You do not have to call PS 58 for a registration appointment.
Families of wait-listed students
We will contact families from the wait list in order when seats become available. You can see your child’s wait list status in MySchools.
Questions? Please contact Parent Coordinator Joan Bredthauer at email@example.com or call 718-330-9322 and select “parent coordinator” from the menu.
Kindergarten admissions in NYC for 2022-2023
The kindergarten application period is closed. Have a child born in 2017 and missed the deadline? You can still participate in admissions. Add yourself to programs’ waitlists with your MySchools.nyc account.
MySchools.nyc includes an online directory tool that allows families to explore program choices, save programs of interest and submit their application, all on the same site.
Sign up for the NYC Schools kindergarten admissions email list to get the latest updates, event information, tips, and key date reminders.
Enrollment priorities, all grades
PS 58 is a zoned school and families who live in the zone have enrollment priority. Our zone has changed for new students entering in September 2022. Here is the new zone map. The easiest and most accurate way to see which elementary school is your zoned school is by using the School Search tool at the DOE website.
- In NYC, priority for seat offers in a zoned school such as PS 58 is given to zoned children who have a brother or sister at our school.
- Next, seats are offered to zoned applicants.
- There is a priority for children who speak French but little or no English who apply to our French dual language program.
Diversity in Admissions Priorities for grades Pre-K and K
Students in these categories will receive priority for up to 30% of our Kindergarten seats and do not need to live in our school zone:
- eligible for free or reduced price lunch
- live in temporary housing as described by the McKinney Vento Act
- are English Language Learners
- are residents of public housing
If you have questions about applying to PS 58, please contact Parent Coordinator Joan Bredthauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS 58 has two programs: Kindergarten and French Dual Language Kindergarten
We offer Kindergarten (taught in English) and French Dual Language Kindergarten (taught 50% in English and 50% in French). Families may list both programs on their application.
If you add French Dual Language Kindergarten to your child’s application, you will need to indicate how well your child speaks French. Our Dual Language program aims for a balanced number of English-speaking students and French-fluent students. French fluent students who speak no or little English are given priority.
A French fluency assessment is required before placement in our DL program. The assessment is best described as a 15-minute conversation in French. We have completed our assessments for the 2022-2023 school year.
Seat offers and wait lists
Main round Kindergarten seat offers were posted in MySchools on April 5th. Your child was automatically placed on the wait list of all schools and programs that you ranked higher than your offered school. You can see your child’s wait list status at your MySchools account. Please be aware that waitlists are fluid and will change if families with a higher priority apply after seat offers and waitlist notices are sent (see Enrollment Priorities, above).
Register at your offered school by the deadline
Once you receive your child’s offer, you must register at the school. Registering at the offered school will ensure that your child has a seat for September and does not reduce your chance of receiving another seat offer to any waitlisted school or program before September. At PS 58, we will send an email to families with offers to our programs and invite you to create an account on our online registration system called Operoo.
Moving to the zone after the application deadline
If you moved to our zone after the application deadline, you may still create a MySchools account and make an application. If we have seats, your child might receive an offer. If there are no seats available, your child will be placed on our wait list. You should also email Parent Coordinator Joan Bredthauer at email@example.com if you move after the deadline.