Enrollment FAQs for Prospective Families

Do I need to live in the PS 58 zone to enroll my child?

PS 58 is a zoned school, and we must offer seats first to children who live in our zone.  As part of our new Diversity in Admissions program which takes effect for 2022-2023, our school zone has been reduced, and 30% of seats are prioritized for students entering Pre-K or Kindergarten who:

  • live in NYCHA housing
  • live in temporary housing
  • are eligible for free or reduced price lunch
  • are English Language Learners

See this post to read more about the Diversity in Admissions program and see a map of our school zone and the larger subdistrict #3.

Out of zone families may contact us for more information.

Do zoning rules apply to the French Dual Language Program?

Yes, all zoning rules and priorities apply but parents of French speaking children from outside of our zone may contact us for more information.  French speaking students who speak no or very little English may qualify for an enrollment priority as an English Language Learner.

I live in District 15.  Is that part of the zone?

Our school zone is just one small area within District 15.  NYC has many school districts, and each district contains a number of school zones.  The district spans many neighborhoods, but our zone is a much smaller area within one neighborhood. At PS 58, we usually fill all our seats with families who live in the school’s zone, and this year, we will also give priority to Pre-K and Kindergarten applicants who fall into one of the diversity in admissions populations described above.

How can I confirm that my home is in the PS 58 school zone?

Enter your home address into the NYC DOE’s Find A School Tool to find your zoned elementary school.   The first school you see listed on your screen will be your zoned school.

Or, you can call 311 within NYC, or call us at 718-330-9322.

We are moving to the school zone mid-year.  When can my child start school?

Registration for the current school year for new zoned students is done in person once you live in the zone, and is ongoing throughout the year.  Please call Pupil Accounting Secretary Tina Nyffler at 718-330-9322 to confirm a date for registration.  We cannot register your child before your child resides here.  Children can usually begin to attend as soon as they register.  Children who speak French and wish to be part of the Dual Language program must also be scheduled for a French fluency assessment.  Please contact Parent Coordinator Joan Bredthauer for more information.

Can my child take the French fluency assessment before we move to the zone?

No.  The assessment is usually conducted in person as a conversation with one of our DLP teachers and is scheduled once you live in the school zone.

What documents do I need for registration?

  1. Child’s original birth certificate or passport
  2. Record of all required immunizations.
  3. Latest report card/transcript (if available)
  4. Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable)
  5. Proof of address: any TWO of the following:
  • A lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence
  • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison), must be dated within the past 60 days
  • A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days
  • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, Human Resources Administration, the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor or the federal Office of Refugee Settlement, indicating the resident’s name and address, must be dated within the past 60 days
  • A current property tax bill for the residence
  • A water bill for the residence dated within the past 90 days
  • Rent receipt which includes the address of the residence, must be dated within the past 60 days
  • State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence
  • Income tax form for the last calendar year
  • Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit which has not expired
  • Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a pay stub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days
  • Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
  • Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
  • Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers documents issued within the past 60 days with name of child and address of residence

What information should I have when I register?

Once we can confirm that we have a seat for your child, we will send you an email with an invitation to create an Operoo.com account. You will use this automated, online form system to complete the registration forms and upload your required documents.  You will be asked to fill out many forms.  It is helpful to have all your telephone numbers, including home, work and cell, as well as the contact numbers of any trusted adults you designate to pick up your child in an emergency if you are not available.  Please review the required documents above.

Does my child need a medical exam to enter school?

Yes.  All new students must submit a Child Health Exam Form 205 to the school.  You will be given the form to bring to your physician at the time of registration.  Please return the completed form within the first few weeks of school.

© 2022 PS 58 Brooklyn – The Carroll School. All rights reserved.